AmigaActive (1906/2143)

From:Neil Bothwick
Date:29 May 2000 at 23:53:52
Subject:Re: CD-R Audio

Kevin Twyman said,

> Hello Neil,

>> It's a very good drive. Noticeably faster than the Yamaha on overal
>> CD creation speed, although it doesn't do CDRW.

> That's a shame :( I use CDRWs for backup, though the prices of CDRs
> are coming down so low that even that may change.

The last lot I bought were £19 for 50 discs.

> Well, I've invested in PFS3, and I bought an UW HD at the Kickstart
> show which I've installed this evening, running on a 68 pin cable, so
> I should have the makings of a decent CD writing system once I hook
> the Yamaha 4416 up to it.

Sounds good, and similar to my previous setup, except I used a Yamaha
CDR400T.

>> Do you mean it hangs when you create them, or when you try to read
>> them? If the latter, it could be down to the CD filesystem, although
>> most support multi-session.

> I wasn't able to read them with AmiCDFS, that is now fixed as I've
> installed CacheCDFS.

AmiCDFS should read multi-session CDs, but not multi-volume ones.

> The system hangs when I try to create them, and a re-boot is necessary
> to escape from it.

Do you have a filesystem mounted on the CD-R. It's best if you don't do
this by default, only mounting it when you need it, and not when burning
CDs.

>>> I know that MakeCD is your preffered CD burning software - any
>>> problems I should look out for when using it with the
>>> CyberStormPPC?

>> Provided you've got a recent version of cybppc.device (I use 44.67)
>> it should be fine. You may want to explicitly enable reselection in
>> the early boot menu as the auto setting doesn't always do this even
>> though the drive may support it. It handled my CDR OK but always got
>> it wrong for my tape drive.

> I have cybppc.device 44.69 (took my life in my hand and re-flashed
> it a couple of weeks ago )

AFAICS, none of the changes for 44.69 affected me, so I left well alone.

> I seem to have a problem with the early boot menu, though (I take it
> you mean the CyberStorm early boot menu?)

Yes.

> It now shows as what I can only describe as a "split screen", and is
> unreadable. It worked the last time I looked at it (some months ago)
> and the early startup menu works OK. I have a PIV installed. I've no
> idea what could be causing it, unless it's something in the latest
> flash update.

That sounds like a screenmode problem. Try changing the 31kHz setting in
the menu.

> Don't make me flash the ROM again, noooooooooooooooo! ;)

Flashing the ROM could have caused this, as it resets all the settings.
I wish there was a way to save them out, or even backup the flash ROM
before flashing it.

Neil

Neil Bothwick - New Media Editor, Amiga Active Magazine
Connected via Wirenet - http://www.wire.net.uk
The UK's first Amiga-only internet access provider

MACINTOSH: Most Applications Crash; If Not, The Operating System Hangs

Find long lost high school friends: